Saturday, January 11, 2014

White House Down (2013)


White House Down is a mess. My new resolution is to never watch another movie with Channing Tatum in it. I can think of a dozen actors off the top of my head that would have been WAY better than Tatum. It's painful to watch him on screen. Unfortunately, Tatum isn't the only thing wrong with this flick.

Recently, I reviewed Olympus Has Fallen and I was pretty harsh about it. White House Down is its brother from another mother. Although it doesn't make the White House as easy to take down as Olympus Has Fallen, they both have almost identical plots. If I had to choose to watch one or the other, I would choose Olympus Has Fallen. That should give you an idea of what a hot mess White House Down is.

Tatum is the "hero" and Foxx plays the current President of the United States. Their chemistry is awkward to say the least. Tatum's character apparently has aspirations to be in the Secret Service but when he gets a chance to interact with the President, he treats him like an inadequate sidekick and comes off as disrespectful.

The attempted funny parts are noticeable and seriously not funny. Again, I blame this one on Tatum's delivery. Another Tatum point, then I'll stop. He is severely unconvincing as a father. He comes off more like a young punk. 

Joey King who plays Tatum's daughter, Emily, is good and reminds me a little of Alyssa Milano in Commando (1985). As good as she is, she still can't overcome Tatum's inabilities.

Overall, White House Down looks like they released the movie prematurely. It's unpolished and messy. Definitely not worth watching.



No comments:

Post a Comment